“What’s needed is an attractive new paradigm that might lead us to proactively reduce our energy consumption. The voluntary simplicity movement blazed that trail back in the 1980’s, and the Transition Network has made considerably more headway by organizing whole communities around the task of reducing fossil fuel consumption while relearning preindustrial skills and rebuilding local economies. Transition also emphasizes building community resilience as an essential strategy in adapting to our emerging energy, economic and climate reality.”
Richard Heinberg, Post Carbon Institute & author, Afterburn – Society Beyond Fossil Fuels
Coopérative de solidarité Transition NDG is a non-profit organization dedicated to creating more resilient communities through pursuing less fossil fuel dependent lifestyles, disseminating related knowledge and information and creating and supporting opportunities to live and learn sustainable practices.
Founded in September 2012 by 8 people with backgrounds in community work, food security, urban agriculture and permaculture, we are proud of our close ties to the many other vibrant community organizations in NDG and collaborate with them on several projects that support food resilience, the NDG local economy and the strengthening and maintaining of a sense of community in our neighbourhood and beyond.
- To increase the community’s capacity for resilience
- To link the local ECOnomy with local ECOsystems
- To facilitate local community economic development
- To increase local self-reliance, ownership & advocacy
- To improve the quality of life & health of the community
- To learn new skills and build relationships with friends & neighbours
- To support local & regional organic food sheds (urban/rural link)
- To increase and support ‘Incredible Edibles’ type of projects
Our long-term vision is to own a collective space for events, food, and workshops and to establish a land trust close by with the intention of supporting local, small-scale farming, research and education while producing fresh food for our neighborhood.
10% of all our funds will be put aside for this common dream to be realized.